3 for 1! The transnational “Peaks of the Balkans” trail leads you through one of the most remote and wild mountainous regions of the Western Balkans. Venture through Kosovo, Albania, and Montenegro on this special route.
You will use shepherd paths and footways on this trek as you wind through alpine mountains up to a maximum altitude of 2656 meters. Wild mountain scenery will display a diversity of breathtaking landscapes, varying from green valleys, to crystal clear mountain lakes, waterfalls, rivers, and remote picturesque mountain villages. The beauty and tranquility in the region might make it seem like time has stopped, making this trail a true hidden treasure for nature lovers and hikers. It will be an unforgettable week of exploring!
This region is also known for the hospitality of its inhabitants which visitors can enjoy while staying in one of the traditional stone or wooden houses that can be found along the trail in all three countries. At these small accommodations, you’ll eat authentic, homemade dishes served by your local hosts.
- Hike Hajla mountain for a scenic view over the mountain range
- Venture to Lake Linqenat for its beautiful mountain lakes
- Visit the handicraft shops at the Old Bazaar in Gjakova
- Pass through Ropojana valley
- Visit Thethi mountain village and the Blue Eye of Theth
- Hike through Valbona Valley National Park
- Hike through Qerrem & Doberdol remote mountain villages
Seasonal Notes: The high season (July and August) can have very hot weather. This trip can occur during the low season (May, October) or the shoulder season (June, September) to help with tourism dispersal, which helps to spread out traffic and avoid busy guesthouses. May and October will generally have cooler weather.