The island-nation of Madagascar is well-known for its incredible, untouched nature and sparkling blue-green waters. Come see the natural wonders for yourself, while engaging in meaningful cultural exchanges in this off-the-beaten-path destination.
- Take a scenic train ride and visit remote villages
- Hike in a UNESCO World Heritage geological national park and through a rainforest
- Participate in homestays with locals
- See humpback whales with a conservation NGO
- Experience a soothing canoe trip through limestone gorges and rice fields
- Camp along the riverbanks for a couple of nights
- See colonies of lemurs, as well as herons, parrots, chameleons, rare orchids, and more
What to expect: From crossing the Tsiribihina river for 3 days on a traditional canoe to riding the 12-hour Fianarantsoa-Côte Est (FCE) train to Manakara, you will discover some of the most remote areas and villages of Madagascar. Throughout this journey, you will witness luxuriant, pristine nature, and dense rainforests including many species you will see nowhere else in the world. You will also meet incredibly kind and welcoming people.
Step foot in the Tsingy de Bemaraha National Park, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and understand why it attracts the worldwide curiosity of geologists and botanists. Then, dive into the crystal clear waters on the beaches of Ile Sainte Marie where humpback whales lay down in shallow waters to breed.
Join us for this sustainable, small-group trip to Madagascar and let our method of slow travel and low carbon impact activities rejuvenate you.
Seasonal Notes: High season varies between July and September. Low Season varies between January and March. The weather will be neither too hot nor too humid, making it convenient for all types of activities, such as canoeing and camping. Please note that Madagascar is south of the equator, so seasonality is inversed as compared to the northern hemisphere – this is referred to as having austral seasons. This trip takes place in June, which is just at the beginning of the austral winter season.