Sustainable Travel Products Roundup
There are tons of great brands out there making eco-friendly, zero-waste, sustainable travel products. We want to make it easier for you to know about and find travel products we love.
Sustainable Packing List
We’ll start by saying that everything linked on this page is also included in our free sustainable packing list! You can get a downloadable copy of our packing list sent straight to your inbox by clicking this link.
In this list, you’ll find packing suggestions broken down by category: Luggage & Bags, Clothes, Toiletries, Lady Products, Electronics & Travel Tech, Food & Drink, Travel Documents, Miscellaneous, and Seasonal Items.
Not only do we tell you what we suggest you pack, we also tell you why our recommendations are sustainable!
Next up: We’re working on building out an affiliate marketing model for products. This is because we’re a completely virtual business, meaning we don’t hold inventory. Plus, our energy is focused on loading incredible responsible trips for you, and connecting with affiliate shops makes our lives so much easier.
Affiliate marketing means that if you purchase a product after clicking a link from our website we will earn a small commission.
Our first affiliate partnership is with an amazing woman-owned boutique based in Canada. Let us introduce Keepsie Kits!
Here are some fun facts about Keepsie Kits – you’ll instantly see why we wanted to partner with them.
- All their products are created to reduce your environmental impact from traveling through durable, reusable, and eco-friendly materials.
- 5% of profits are donated to an environmental cause: Ecotrust Canada, a non-profit organization that focuses on creating sustainable energy and economy for Indigenous communities in Canada.
- All carbon emissions from shipping are offset. They don’t do rush shipping and only ship to the US and Canada.
- They ship package-free where possible, and when needed, they ensure packaging is eco-friendly.
💚 Here’s what you can expect to find at Keepsie Kits:
- Sustainable travel bundles (“the Essentials” or “the Works“)
- A sustainable travel towel
- A packable backpack
- A bamboo toothbrush & toothpaste tablets
- Silicone storage bags & reusable travel bottles for liquids and creams on the go (i.e shampoo)
- A bamboo cutlery set with stainless steel straws
- Eco-friendly laundry detergent strips (liquid-free!)
Our second affiliate partnership is with a fantastic UK-based company called OneNine5. They made a name for themselves with an award-winning wash bag (toiletry bag, for the North Americans) for the conscious, mindful traveler. It’s made from 100% recycled plastic.
- They design eco-conscious, unisex travel goods meant to tackle the single-use plastics problem in the travel industry.
- Their packaging consists of 100% recycled paper and biodegradable plastic.
- They have a great recycling scheme: when your durable bag finally does reach the end of its life, you can return it to them to be disposed of responsibly. On top of this, they’ll also give you a discount on your replacement purchase.
💚 At OneNine5, you can expect to find four main products:
- Travel wash bags
- Eco essentials pouches (for travel goods, makeup, everyday use, etc.)
- Refillable silicone travel bottles
- Liquid toiletry bags
Each product comes in four colors: pink, blue, grey, and black.
We encourage North American travelers to support Keepsie Kits, and our UK/European travelers to support OneNine5. This will reduce the carbon impact of shipping these products to you.
Our third affiliate partnership is with Water-to-Go, a company that makes BPA-free water bottles with a built-in filtration system. They’re based in the UK and have both a European and a US site. You can save money and the environment by using a Water-to-Go water bottle instead of single-use plastic bottles of water.
What’s unique about Water-to-Go:
- Their filter technology was originally developed for NASA
- Their filter is comprised of one traditional technology and two nanotechnologies
- Combined, the 3-in-1 filter removes up to 99.9999% of microbiological contaminants found in water
- They support clean water initiatives, causes, and charities around the world
The different technologies in the Water-to-Go system include mechanical filtration, electrical filtration, and activated carbon. Read more about the science behind the filters here. Between the three technologies, the filter removes deadly viruses and bacteria, life-threatening water-borne parasites, and poisonous metals and chemicals.
In short, they are “making dirty water drinkable.” This would be especially helpful when traveling in countries with more difficult access to clean water.
💚 At Water-to-Go, you can expect to find three main products:
Each bottle comes in a variety of colors such as black, blue, pink, green, and red. They also sell replacement filters and lids.
Bonus: We have a 10% off coupon code for you – use YUGEN10 at checkout!
We’ve partnered with Bookshop.org, a benefit company dedicated to profit-sharing with local and independent bookstores around the United States.
What’s unique about Bookshop.org:
- You can search for a specific local bookshop and support it directly, or
- You can search for a specific book, and the earnings will be distributed across many independent bookstores
- Over 75% of Bookshop.org’s profit margin gets redistributed back to authors, bookstores, and more
As a benefit corporation, Bookshop.org is “dedicated to the public good.”
💚 At Bookshop.org, our Yugen Earthside “shop” has a few lists to help you out:
- A Sustainable Travel list with a curated selection of our favorite books to help you be a more responsible traveler
- A Travel Inspiration list with a variety of fan favorites that have inspired travel or accompanied us on our journeys (we add our travelers’ recommendations to this list as we receive them!)
The “Everything Store”
Where we don’t have connections (yet) with small shops, we suggest products on Amazon. There’s no denying they have an incredible selection, and we’ll help you sort through that to find great products.
Here are some quick links to help you get started. Keep in mind that this is just scratching the surface though! Make sure you grab our free packing list to have a complete list of recommendations.
Luggage & Travel Bags
- Packing cubes
- Recycled day pack
- Extra packable bags: for market visits, or to stuff in your pocket just in case.
- Shampoo bar
- Conditioner bar
- Bamboo toothbrush
- Toothpaste tablets
- Charcoal dental floss
- Reef-safe sunscreen
- Reusable silicone ear swab
Electronics & Travel Tech
Food & Drink
- Reusable water bottles: Try rollable, collapsible, or with built-in filters.
- Portable water filter
- Reusable snack bags
- Reusable cutlery
- Reusable straws
- Eco-friendly laundry detergent strips (liquid-free!)
Are you an eco-shop selling sustainable travel products?
If yes, please contact us to discuss a partnership